how to hide the path users on the symlink.

Hello,

can someone please suggest or is it possible to hide the path for the link[/data/sftphome/sftpuser1/sftpdata/] from viewing it from remote users.

for examples.

as root user login

#ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Oct  2 16:05 sftpdata -> /data/sftphome/sftpuser1/sftpdata/
#pwd
/home/user1
#

when user1 logs in, he need to see the sftpdata dir but not the sym link, as show below. Is this possible to configure ??

$id 
uid=1003(user) gid=1000(group) groups=1000(group)
$ls -l 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Oct  2 16:05 sftpdata
$

Thanks,

It's a symlink. To find the destination, it has to contain it. If the user can't find it, neither can the kernel.

You can do mount --bind /path/to/something /path/to/something/else to attach two folders in a manner ls can't trace though.

I thought of using mount with bind option, but in my case, I have to mount it on 10 users user home directories. so I thought of going with symlink.
my team member mentioned, we can configure this by using sticky bit, but not sure how to do that. He mentioned using stickybit, root user can see the sym link, but not remote users.-- any idea.

Thanks.

Using the -L option instead will list the sym-link as you wish. (At least with the GNU version of ls.)

HP-UX 10 is the only OS that I am aware of that gives special meaning to the sticky bit on a symbolic link. Evidently it is used to indicate a transition link.