How to hide folders

hello everybody,

i would like to hide visibility of the folders , i.e. not to giving any physically visibility to any users . Is there any way to do it other than changing the permission and adding "." post folder name .

by changing the permission , we cann't do any activity , but have visibility . Again by adding "." , it's not able to view in my server , but if i am using any 3rd party UI , then able see there is a folder with "." but in grey shaded.

so is there any option in unix, to hide visibility of the folders from any user?????

For generic Unix, no. On a reasonably modern platform there may be attributes in the file system etc which would permit something like this, but you need to indicate what OS and file system you're on.

A classical arrangement is to put stuff inside a directory where users only have execute access, no read access; if they know the name of one of the directories in there, they can access them, but they have to be good at guessing. This is of course also very cumbersome for those who need full access.

It also depends on the usage scenario. Are we talking limited access, like anonymous ftp users, or friendly colored dancing icons with chocolate candy on a KDE desktop?