How to get to the OK prompt without Sun keyboard

Hi all,
I have just replaced the HDD on a Ultra 5 Spark machine, now I need to reinstall Solaris 9.
The problem is: how do I get to the OK prompt without a Sun keyboard in order to boot from CD?

At moment when I power on the machine I get the following error:
Timeout Waiting for ARP/RARP Packet
Probably because it's trying to boof off the network.

What are you using to connect to the server?

If using a laptop on the serial connection of the server, Control Break should get you to the ok prompt - but only if break is allowed.

I am not connected through a serial port.
I am using a Sun adapter with a standard American keyboard.

The problem is that on the HDD there is no OS, when Solaris was installed I was able to get to th OK prompt by unplagging the keyboard.

There is a keyboard shortcut to duplicate stop-A on a PC keyboard. I think it is something like ~. but I don't remember for sure. I tried checking for the answer online and some suggestions various people had to try were

~.
~#
return ~ ctrl+b (that's return key, tilde, control b)
f1 a

Try break or ctrl+break as well. Several of the sites I've checked trying to find the shortcut I'm forgetting say that should work with most PC keyboards. Not sure if any of those will do the trick for you, but hopefully one will.

If you can telnet into the box from somewhere else you could always do an init 0, but in this case it sounds like that isn't possible since the machine isn't up to telnet into it.

One other thought I just had . . .

If it doesn't have an OS on it, try unplugging your network cable. When it can't boot from it's hard drive and can't boot from the network, it should dump you at the ok> prompt.

Obviously make sure there is no bootable CD or floppy in the machine before trying that one . . . .

See if this helps.

man init

# init 0
Go into firmware......

or:

eeprom auto-boot?=false
shutdown -g0 -y -i5
poweron the sun
the mashine will stop after the POST/DIAG before loading the OS --> OBP

((
or:
not sure about these commands
??halt?? but should also go down to OBP
??uadmin 2 0??
))

greetings Pre�y

avoid useing halt and powroff. halt and poweroff are the same for all intesive purposes.

they can leave the fs in an instable state. but they will bring it back to a OBP.

I had to set a Solaris machine (Solaris 9) using a dumb terminal. So the sun keyboard wasn't used.

I use Ctrl + C to break into the ok> prompt. This worked fine for me.

Give it a go.

I have tried everything...but no luck...
I think that I will pop down the shop to buy a Sun keyboard!

The issue is that there is no OS on the HD.
When Solaris 9 was installed on the old HD I was able to get to the OK prompt by unplagging the keyboard or the Sun adapter.

Now as soon I power on, the machine tryes to boot off the network and there is nothing I can do, can't type anything and key combinations doesn't work:-(

sync;sync;halt;
always works!

stop-n will set all the nvram variables back to the defaults and you should then be able to get to OBP then you can check if your drive is installed then you should be able to boot off cdrom and get to the install

My Situation was with a SUN T2000 at a remote site connected by serial cabe to a PC running FREEBSD. I connect to the SUN via MInicom modem app and when I rebooted I got a prompt telling me it could not find the boot file.

I used SEND BREAK from within minicom and it acted just like a STOP A.

-Nuff Said.

this thread is nearly 5 years old...