How to create on partion from 2 disks?

Hi everyone :b:

I'm glade to join this forum and I have one question

I installed latest Solaris 10 release on SF V480 with 2 73 GB disks 8 GB RAM 4 CPU's

My configuration is 10GB for root, 8GB for Swap and 12GB for var.

I mirrored root, so disk 1 has 40GB free of space and disk 2 has 60GB free of space.

Is my configuration correct?

If yes, I want to mirage these 2 available spaces into one space, so I'll have 100GB free for oracle application!

How can I do it?

Regards :confused:

I hope this is for a NON-PRODUCTION Oracle installation.

Here is an example:

# metainit d90 1 2 c0t1d0s5 c0t2d0s5

if you've mirrored the root disk to the second disk, how can there be 40gb free on the first and 60gb free on the second disk?

Seg,

It's not an oracle production yet :o

Our Organization planning to buy new infrastructure BUT maybe it will keep the current infrastructure :confused:

So please tell me why you said you hope it not for production?

Is my configuration wrong?

And thanks for your reply and for the command :o

I'll wait for your reply :b:

Thanks alot.

----

DukeNuke2 disk 1 has 10 GB for root, 8 GB for SWAP and 10 GB for var so the free space is 40 GB :o

Disk 2 I mirrored only root so 10 GB for Root and the reset will be free (60 GB) I didn't mirror SWAP or var, is it wrong configuration?

Thanks a lot for your comment.

Please guys help me. :o

Thanks

Regards

Don't put production data on a non-redundant array. If you are joining two disk slices into one big partition then there is no redundancy. Might think about hiring a sysadmin or two.

you have to mirror the whole disk... if the first disk fails, you want to be able to work with the second disk... won't you? and without swap and /var the second disk will not work!

Oh get it

Thanks Seg.

Regards

Thanks DukeNuke2 for reply

but oracle application needs at least 100 GB so I can't mirror var and SWAP :frowning:

Thanks again :o

if you have any sense, you will also mirror swap and /var. Most decent SAs would also put the user home accounts on a separate slice.

you should copy the disk label from one disk to the other and then mirror the partitions.

Also, assuming that your are using SVM (ex SDS, ex-ex-ODS), you should ensure that you have a enough state databases.

The command metadb should show you where they are. You should have then in at least two locations and convention when I worked at Sun, was to put three copies in each location.

Grippo thanks for help, what is the recommanded size for state DB's?

Thanks

Regards

you can create 3 replicas, size of 100mb is more than enough

incredible thanks for help

regards