How to create an 'uptime' graph?

Hi,

Can someone advise how to create an uptime graph? I want to create one for an Oracle database to be able to show how long it's been up for.

UNIX SA dont't want to install any database plugin that I can use. I am just looking for something 'simple' similar to Nagios/Cacti.

Not sure what information I should retrieve from the database except one that check whether it is up or not.

Any advise much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't that be just a number (days/hours)?

Hi,

Yep, it is sort of a number. Everyday, I will check the startup_time of the database, if it is = 24 hours = 1440, then it is up for the whole day, otherwise it x/1440 up only. Then at the end of the month, I will painfully use Excel to graph it.

I am wondering if there is anyway I can use a script to make some kind of html graph instead or that is not possible ???:confused: ... I guess I am trying to work out how Nagios/Cacti does it and do a similar thing.

Can I suggest using gnuplot. Have a look at this thread: GnuPlot in Bash where I discuss using gunplot to plot filesystem freespace - very similar concept to your requirement.