How to create a new ftp user account with limited access..?

Hi All,

I'm using solaris 2.8, and I want create a new ftp user account with the following restrictions:

• Have only ftp access, no telnet or rlogin
  • Have restricted access to its home directory example /export/home/newuser
  • Deny access to any other directory.

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy

Hi gents., any help would be appreciated....

Jeremy

There are a couple ways you can go.

You can use a restricted shell to contain the user in that user's directory. There's one rssh shell out there that allows only scp and sftp. You'd have to compile it. I have enver used it, so I don't know how well it works.

If you have many users who need to be set that way, you may want to configure an anonymous ftp server. That way everyone can log into the ftp directory using "anonymous" as a the user name. That way users will have a login to the ftp server, but not a user login.

You can also transfer the files somewhere else. If you have only one user that needs files, rather than you giving him a login into your box, have the user give you a login into the user's workstation and automate a file transfer to it via script. Or if you have many users, you can designate a workstation as a repository and transfer all files there. That way, you don't care what happens to the workstation.

It just depends on your particular situatoin.

To restrict ftp we usually just change the ftp daemon to something like proftpd which allows you to configure different option for different user/directories.

Thanks for your feedback, highly appreciated.

In fact here are my limitation,

• I don't have a compiler installed on the machine, so I can't install a thired party ftp software, like proftp, or wu-ftpd
  • Also, for security reason the anonymous ftp won't be implemented.

So far so good, I succeded in implmenting part of the ftp, howevr I'm having problems restricting the user to it's home directory.

So how do we jail(or chroot) the guest ftp user?

pretty sure that:

1. You can find proftp as a .pkg { have you looked at what's on sunfreeware.com ? }
  2. Chroot jailed ftp is documented at http://www.sun.com/bigadmin

Thanks reborg for your precious help.

Jeremry