How to connect Unix and Sql Server 2005?

Hi All
Can any one please help me about
How to connect Unix with Sql Server 2005
I want to do it urgently and i didn't find the way.

Repeating the question does not make it any easier to answer. We still know nothing about your environment on either computer and don't understand what you are trying to do or why.
http://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/174206-unix-sql-server-2005-a.html
Also this looks like homework to me.

See till now problem has not been solved so i posted again

---------- Post updated at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:10 AM ----------

I use window 7 and there is unix installed in it also the sql server 2005. i want to connect them both

What unix and version?

uname -a

Do you have any database client software installed in the unix partition?

Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 from a non-Microsoft platform is not easy. Any reason to not do the whole job on the Microsoft Windows 7 platform?

Linux wi127 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:02 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

You would need an obdc client on the unix box ( it is not free...)

but i have downloaded from data direct connection

---------- Post updated at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:19 AM ----------

and the link is
DataDirect Connect and Connect XE for ODBC Software for UNIX/Linux

Following you link, point 2:

Quite sure it applies to microsoft product (SQLServer), though Microsoft SQL Server improved performance with ODBC, JDBC and ADO.NET database drivers suggest it may work... but it is silent with which version...

Can you explain:

Not sure what we should understand by that...
What about the server holding the SQLserver database?

And you will note that in point 5 of the instructions it says to enter "eval". You will need to buy a license at some point to continue using it.

What is more pertinant is that this is just the ODBC drivers. They are just an add-in to Progress 4GL database engine (which is a very old product - now updated and rebranded as "Progress OpenEdge").
Operational Responsiveness, Business Process Management, Complex Event Processing and SOA Infrastructure | Progress Software

If the O/P is both a Progress 4GL and MSSQL expert then it might be possible to get this ODBC to work. Our attempt some years ago was a failure and we changed to Progress Webspeed (pay software).

I'm still unclear whether this is a training exercise or a live issue. In similar training threads we see people using MySQL on both Linux and Microsoft platforms. I cannot comment on that product but others can.

Hi,

For sql server 2005 from linux, you can use FreeTDS.org

Hope this helps

I developed FreeTDS-based s/w under Linux recently working with SQL Server 2000 and 2005, although this app has not been deployed in production yet. There is a good support forum on their web site.

Like Migurus said, you can use unixODBC in combination with FreeTDS on linux to connect to MS SQL server. I have set up several VM's and it works fairly well.

Thanks for all the support
@methyl-: I think you are still unclear with the structure.See i use Window 7 in windows Sql Server 2005 is installed and there is a separate server of Unix from which i log in into it through putty(telnet). Putty is installed into Window 7.
I think now you are clear

---------- Post updated at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:51 AM ----------

Hi Padow
If possible can you provide me the detailed structure how to do this all.
Thanks in advance