How to clone a 382-workstations hdd?

Hi there,

I got a pretty old HP 382 workstation, and the hdd is pretty LOUD ... :wink:
So I thought I clone it to an much quiter one.

I tried this:

• removed the loud hdd
  • connected it to an system running knoppix 7.0.4 (hdd is recognized with UFS filesystem; Clonezilla couldn't handle the disk)
  • run 'dd if=/dev/sda of=/srv/images/382.img conv=noerrors,sync'
  • rebooted that knoppix system
  • connected the quiter disk
  • run 'dd if=/srv/images/382.img of=/dev/sda'
  • changed SCSI-ID to the one the louder disk has
  • build-in the quiter disk to the 382
  • switch-on 382

It stops in second boot procedure with a swap-error-message, saying swapconf should be run ... but how do I do this?
And how to clone such an disk?

Thanks in advance!
Torsten

ps: my english is not that good, sorry for that

But what OS are you running?

uname -a shows:
HP-UX beta B.09.00 A 9000/382 ...

I wonder if it is not a question of driver... or firmware that needs to be updated... I dont remember how it was done ( I turned off my 712 in 94 and my 715 in 96...) I did uprade one so it recognized 2GB disks... You should see ( I will try on my side also...) if you know someone at HP that still has the firmware and software because unless its shellscripts like /etc/disktab I doubt the binaries are compatible ( I may still have 9.00 9.05, and perhaps 9.07 tapes..) because you have a motorola processor (serie 300...)

1 Like

Second thought: Are the disks the same type? ( I doubt identical since you say "faster"...). since I have no clear idea where you are in your boot process but you seem to be in almost last part of booting process, the message has certain familiarities with kernel panic on other systems...One thing I am sure of is HP-UX kernel will panic if it cant configure primary swap space ( but to me that means it has managed to find and load the kernel from disk...) ... but last time I had to face that was with an old 822 (yes HPUX9.00) and had to enter hpux boot with -aS <device> ( I think...) if you have you HP-UX reference manual, have a look because that is all I can remember

You can also try to make a recovery archive on a DAT or a external disk using mkrs and boot from that to reinstall, or try to attach the disk as secondary, boot from the old and attempt to make it bootable using mkboot (/etc/boot has to be copied in the proper boot area...) If you know what disk you are trying to replace, try to look in /etc/disktab if you can find it, if not, try to add a new entry VERY CAREFULLY by following the instruction contained in the file...

1 Like

I don't have any documents, just that machine, and I'd like to keep it running on original state (keep the HP C2235 hdd), but I also would like to have less noise when running it. So my idea was to replace the C2235 with an "newer" hdd (I think its a 4gb IBM one).
You think it might be a firmware-prob due to disk size? uhhh ... I thought 4gb shouldn't be a problem ... but you're right, it might be a 2gb barrier.

Do you remember how to boot to single-user-moe directly when switching-on the machine? Till now I did it that by executing 'init 1' from terminal application within cde ... which is not best choice.

Thanks a lot for your time! :slight_smile:

It is normally init -s or -S ...
Othewise, Its so long ago... I think there was something in the logging screen menu, I think you had an option button you clicked to choose... I remember having to go somewhere when I had a workstation refusing to boot (crashed and disk full and corrupted...) I should have taken notes at the time ! (damned) I had to do this so many times at one time it was obvious for me and so never bothered to write down what was to do... I regret now because I see the day I decide to put up my 715 I will suffer...
Cant you borrow a DAT?
If you are in a silly situation I will see what I have at home... because I did have an external DAT unit with the 715 (DDS1...) slow and not much data (2GB? dont remember...) but worked...

1 Like

Sorry, I was off for some days ...

I do have a DAT ... a 2GB one and a 8GB one, so that's not the problem :wink:
I'll have a look at this later on ... have to check my mailboxes first :wink:

cu

Hi,

I was able to solve that issue! :slight_smile:

As clonezilla didn't work I tested several other tools, and Ghost4Linux on current Parted Magic CD worked fine! I simply did a raw copy on another harddisk, and was able to boot from that one. Its an old Seagate ST51080N, which is way quiter, and has 1GB (there's also an image on our network now ... just in case we'll need it in the future).

Thank you very much for your time & hints! :slight_smile:

cu
Torsten