How to check everything are migrated after the physical to vmware virtual machine?

I have a physical machine , just use vmware tools migrated data to virtual machine .

how can I check these two servers - old and new server , the data are the same , all files are copy to new server ?

thanks

I never saw I need to do this. You can try a checksum use the same command on each box server and virtual:

find /path/to/data | cksum

This will give you two numbers as output: Example

113466744 579993

The first number is checksum, which makes sure all of the filenames are spelled the same. They should match.

The second number is the number of bytes in the filenames, which will be how you can tell if files are missing. For example if you have 57792 on one server and 56991 on the new server. You are missing some bytes which should have come from file names- but are not there.
[/code]

Well, already there will be differences in a number of places, e.g. log files, e.g. /var/log/messages, /var/log/last etc. and your network configuration (to avoid conflicts if you want both up together) You need to be clear on what is important to you.

You might have some success with something like this on the physical server:-

find / -type f -exec sha1sum {} \; > /tmp/source.sha1sums

Then you can transfer the file to the target (virtual) machine and run:-

sha1sum -c /tmp/source.sha1sums | grep -Ev ": OK$"

This second step, on the virtual server, will read the log file from the physical server and for each file listed, it will read the data file and compare the SHA1 checksums. It will output a line that ends : OK for every one that matches, which is why I have excluded them from the output. Missing files will get output such as FAILED open or read or No such file or directory and thee will be other warnings about files that differ just with the message FAILED after the file name.

This will throw out lots of differences, so capture this to another temporary file and see what you can exclude, e.g. you might deem differences in /var/log or /tmp to be fine.

Be warned that because this reads every file on your server, it might take a long time. If you have NFS or Samba mounted filesystems, you will need to exclude them from the find command on the physical server. The virtual server will only read the files listed in the input file. Are you interested in finding new files that didn't exist on the physical server?

I hope that this helps. Have I missed the point perhaps? If something is horribly wrong or doesn't work, please post your input/output/errors and we can have a further look.

Kind regards,
Robin