How to change root password on HP UX

Hello,
I try to make a change on the root password on HP UX. I use sam but it didn't work here.
I try to login as root but I failed however, I login to my name and then change to su and su password then it is o.k
There is not much different from root and su but how do we use root?
Thanks so much.

What version of HP-UX are you running?
I am not sure if this will work from su
passwd root
and then change it to whatever you want and then try to log in.

Hello,

We have the HP UX 11.11 model/9000. Yes, let me try that to see how it goes.
I use sam but it didn't work for root. I can change other users password except for root. I am doing an install to HP UX box. This process needs root password. Thanks so much for your help.

I use to run HP 8,9,10 on TAC-3 and TAC-4 boxes. NEVER liked the SAM always did everthing through the command line. Or try to edit the /etc/password file but first look at the /etc/password file see if the password field is using encryption or not. That can be dangerous so only try it as a ABSOLUTE last resort.

Here is my procedure to change the root password. Open a window to the box and log on as root or su to root. Now open a second window and become root. Change the password from the command line with "passwd root". (I don't like sam either.) Now test the new root password works for you. If it doesn't you have that first window still available where you can correct things. Having that first window around has saved me every now and then!