How to change hostid saved in rpool?

Hi,

We have a Sun M5000. I am now trying to boot the second system domain by using the boot disk (a mirrored boot disk actually) of the first domain (if succeed then no OS installation is needed for the second domain). I got the following errors:

SPARC Enterprise M5000 Server, using Domain console
Copyright (c) 1998, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates and Fujitsu Limited. All rights reserved.
OpenBoot 4.24.16, 65536 MB memory installed, Serial #xxxxxxxxxx.
Ethernet address 0:21:28:1:8a:4b, Host ID: second_domain_hostid.

Rebooting with command: boot /pci@10,600000/pci@0/pci@8/pci@0/scsi@1/disk@0,0
Boot device: /pci@10,600000/pci@0/pci@8/pci@0/scsi@1/disk@0,0  File and args:
SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_137137-09 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.

WARNING: pool 'rpool' could not be loaded as it was last accessed by another system (host: hostname: first_domain_hostid ).  See: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
NOTICE: spa_import_rootpool: error 9

Question: How can I change the hostid saved in the rpool of the first domain's boot disk?

Thank you in advance!

I think you have to boot from DVD and force import this pool. Then export it.

DVD drive can not be attached to the second domain on M5000. That is why I try to avoid OS installation on the second domain.

But you can attach the disk back to first domain, boot from DVD, import the pool, export it and the reattach the disk to second domain. I'm guessing you are pulling the disks physically from the server. If so, then when you reattach the second disk to first domain, then pull out the original boot disk from first domain.

(1) boot first domain from DVD.
(2) import the rpool
(3) export the rpool - The hostid saved on the rpool will be cleared up during this process?
(4) Reattach the disk to second domain? - How? Do you mean physically move the boot disk from the first domain to the second domain?

Thanks.

Well.. how did you attach the disk from first domain to the second in the first place? And yes, host id problem should disappear after you export the pool (I think ;)).

I simply moved the disk from domain 0 to domain 1.

After the rpool (or boot disk) is exported, it becomes independent, then it can be used by any domain.

Interesting point. Can someone else confirm it?

I thought that disks are tied to controllers which are tied to system boards and you can't really move them between domains. Just out of curiosity.. What command did you use for that operation?

I used the following command to boot it:

ok boot /pci@0,600000/pci@0/pci@8/pci@0/scsi@1/disk@1,0

I'm surprised that something like this is even possible (in a bad way). I thought M-series offered complete separation of domain systems...

What are you expecting to happen when using this way?

I have no idea what can happen when you do it like this. If you have physical access to the server then I would suggest you try the case with physically moving the disk between domains (after exporting the pool first).

Failed.

(1) booted domain 0 from DVD,
(2) imported the rpool (the boot disk),
(3) exported it,
(4) moved the disk physically to domain 1,
(5) boot it,
(6) got the same errors. :confused:

if there are two domains configured (two XSB) this is indeed not possible...

What about "cfgdevice" command? Fujitsu's XSCF reference manual states that it can be used to connect DVD drive to a domain. Check "cfgdevice" section here:http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/SPARCE/manuals/sparc-commone/mx-xscfref-en-03.pdf

cfgdevice will only work on M8000 and M9000 systems.

What is the correct procedure to install Solaris on the second domain on M5000 then? Network install?

if i need to build two (or more) domains on a M4/5000 system, i'll use jumpstart from my laptop to install all domains... the jumpstart server is there, so i use it anyway. for the second (and any other domain) there is no other way then a network install... you can use a scsi controller with external dvd of course, but jumpstart makes it really quick an easy...

OK, thanks for info. Can you also comment on the ability to see other domain's disks in OBP (as aixlover showed earlier)?

if configured correctly, there is no way to see the disks from another domain!