how to change date and time format in menu bar

Can someone please tell me how to change the time and date format in the menu bar. I get to System Preferences -- Language and Text, format, customize, but I can't figure out what to do next. I want to change, say from Tue May 4 to 5 4 2010. How the heck do I do this?

Normally it should be right click on the time & date in the bar, and change the preferences.

Is it not the same for you ?

When I do that, the only option is "Date and Time Preferences" and that takes me to the Date and Time box. I have to click on the "open language and text ' button. The format button in that diaolg box lists the various formats, but I don't know how to change them in there -- how to customize it. It lists the various formats but when I click on the customize button, I don't know how to choose between the short, medium, long versions.

How do I do this?

When in doubt, always list what OS version you are using.
Choices are:
Tiger = 10.4.x
Leopard = 10.5.x
Snow Leopard = 10.6.x

It is pretty straight forward in Snow Leopard.
The date formats are listed as, Short, Medium, Long, and Full.

Each can be edited by selecting the dropdown for the month, day, year.
You can add or remove punctuation, and move the elements around by dragging them to their new position.

You cannot drag between formats, but within formats you can make changes.
You could even make them all appear the same (not sure why you would want that, but...)

But my question is how to I choose between those formats and display it in the menu bar,or is that even possible?

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.3

HAH! Sorry. Now I see exactly what you're talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:
I was happy with my current menu bar clock display so I didn't actually try to change it after fiddling with the formats.

There does appear to be an omission there. You are correct.

I'll do some digging and see what/if there is a solution...