how to build my own distro

howdy....
I am currently in a project, which needs a new distribution of linux..
At first, we select suse as our platform, but this newest version suse is at least several gigabytes. but recently, we want to run out system in a flash card with capacity of 500M, So, self-customized linux is needed>

SO, how can I build my own version of linux, with gcc and some other applications supported..
Can you give me some detailed tutorials . Thanx:eek:

Counter question: do your really want to build your own distribution, or would a stripped down version of an existing distribution suffice? For example, SuSE is several GB in size if you look at the installation media, but it can be installed in as little as several hundred MB if you know what you're doing, and skip graphical goodies. Same goes for other distributions, and I know that Debian, for example, can easily be fit inside of 250 - 300 MB.

If you really, really want your own distribution either choose any distribution you're comfortable with and check if they provide a customization service. For openSuSE there's KIWI, and Reconstructor for Debian/Ubuntu.* Or, if you want to be independent, start with an LFS build.

• No, I do not have any experiences with any of these services. They turned up with a quick search.

Another minimalist GNU/Linux distribution to look at is Damm Small Linux

OpenSUSE also has their own service to build a release:

Portal:SUSE Studio - openSUSE

Check this out mate..

DSL information

which was already mentioned... two posts above!

SUSE has a tool named SUSEStudio to help you plan your distribution (that is based on SUSE). You can pick up the packages you need to install as a part of your distribution and then it generates the distribution for you.

See: Welcome � SUSE Studio