How to boot from scsi id1

I'm running sco 5.0.6 on two independent hard drives. I have one hard drive set at scsi id 0 and can boot from it with no problems. I have another hard drive set at scsi id 1 but cannot boot from it. I'm using an adaptec 29160 controller card. I have set the boot scsi id to 1 in SCSI select but the system still boots off scsi id 0. I have also turned off the bios scan for id 0 but the system still boots off id 0. Both drives are identified in scsi disk utilities so I know that their ids are jumpered properly. I am a newbie at this, so I may be overlooking the obvious. Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to keep sco 5.0.6 on one drive and format the other and load linux onto it after resolving the boot issues. Thanks

If you have multiple hard drives, there is one more caveat. If your drives are IDE (PATA) hard drives, the /boot directory must be on a hard drive attached to the primary IDE controller. If your drives are all SCSI hard drives, the /boot directory must be located on a hard drive with SCSI ID 0 or ID 1. If you have a mix of hard drives, the /boot directory must be located on either the first IDE drive or a SCSI drive with ID 0.

1 Like

Is there any way to manipulate the /boot directory or defbootstr to boot off of either drive?

At the boot prompt enter the following:

boot: hd(41)unix

You can boot SCO off either drive with this option. Most Linux come with a bootloader program so that you can select which drive/partition to boot from; so it will likely take over if you install Linux on one of the drives.
You can also boot a dos/windows(98) partition by entering "dos" at the boot prompt, or NT/2000/XP by entering "os2" at the prompt.

1 Like