How to apply the update statement in multiple servers on multiple dbs at a time .?

Hi ,

Can any please help the below requirement on all multiple servers and multiple dbs.

update configuration set value='yes' ;

1)

the above statement apply on 31 Databases at a time on different Ip address

eg : 10.104.1.12 (unix ip address )
the above ip box contains 4 db's eg : db instance name : live1,live2,live3,live4 

10.104.1.13 ip address 
the above ip box contains 3 data base are running i.e live1,live2,live3 

can any pls suggest how to apply the update stmt on all db using shell script and having the different Ip address.

You may need a commit statement:
i.e., update ...... ; commit;

1. can you access the db's from a single unix box somewhere?
  2. is there an account i.e., just one username/password that can log on to all of your db servers, then execute the command? for each db the server can access?
  3. which db? e.g., oracle mysql....?

FWIW automating this process will be almost as time consuming as doing it manually. The only time I would consider going through all the building and testing needed would be if you have to do this kind of thing on all your servers every week or month.

I suppose it depends how critical your update is to synchronise. I have a vague memory about transactions being described with a two-phase commit, however that required database links to be in place and might have been Oracle only. It was a way of ensuring that updates were prepared (actually done but not committed) on all connected databases before a follow up COMMIT was sent to all. I can't remember how you set it up or what restrictions there may be, but you might get some assistance searching for that.

Two-phase commit protocol - Wikipedia has a 'brief' outline.

What database software are you using? Versions might also be important.

Kind regards,
Robin