How to access encrypted hard drive

Hey guys, i need help. I plugged in my external drive on my laptop using USB port, and it prompts me for password, after entering it,i received that message below: which does not make sense because the password is correct.I need to mention that i am new to Linux, so i don't know what to do much. Help would be much appreciated

Screenshot from 2023-11-30 20-29-16

@wolves , welcome.

How was the drive encrypted initially (ie software used, OS the encryption was done using) - be specific !

The message Unable to access ... is not the same as an incorrect password ...

Which OS / release are you using when mounting this ?
Have you tried another OS (windows ....)

As a general rule - we will not entertain any attempts at hacking drives/systems !
accounts are like to be deleted if any requests of this nature are asked (directly or otherwise)!

Thanks for replying. I did the encryption when i was installing pop OS. Every time when i boot my machine, i put the encryption password before my actual password (i hope that makes sense).

As for the OS, initially when i bought my laptop it was Windows, but i quickly switched to Linux/pop OS.

I bought the SSD 3 days ago to replace the HDD ( which is now my external hard drive that is encrypted)

@wolves ,
so , I presume you are talking about the password to unlock the hdd/sdd and not your user account .

• have you previously successfully logged on ?
  • if there's nothing of note on the drive (as you say its ~3day old ... perhaps reformat and do a re-install ....
  • anything changed since last successful login (software/hardware updates) that may be the cause of the issue

which version of popOS is this ?
popOS-release-history

I'm not sure about that last sentence: it sounded to me that the SSD is now installed internally, and you want to restore the data from the HDD, which was previously encrypted and since then has moved to a USB port.

If that is right, then it seems possible that the driver for the externally mount does not support encryption/decryption. I would probably start by swapping the HDD back, and seeing whether it is still readable there. Possibly, the mount parameters are incomplete.

1 Like

i swapped back the hdd to my old laptop and it works fine, but when i try to use it as my external drive it does not work

It looks like the USB connection is unable to deal with an encrypted disk. I don't know anything about that area -- maybe somebody else can help here.

It depends on the amount of data you need to preserve, and the configuration you are aiming for.

My first concern would be to preserve any required data from the encrypted disk. If it is readable, tar it off: maybe to your backup media (if you don't have a full backup regime, now would be a good time to start). Maybe save it to the Cloud in some form. The tar should receive plain files -- the decryption happens as you read the data.

Once you have done that, you could try a full decrypt of the HDD, which might put it into a state where it will work with the USB connection. Then you can just swap the disks over and work from there. If that does not work, you have the option of repartitioning the HDD and restoring all the files from the tar archive.

I am unclear how you are booting PopOS. If you can exchange the SDD and HDD and boot from either, is PopOS installed on both ?

Thanks for ya'll responses but i decided to wipe it off and restored some of my backed up files