How much Unix is there?

Okay I have been doing some research on this and have been trying to figure out how much Unix is actually behind OSX and how much has been custom made to the Mac. The reason I was wondering is with Photoshop and Dreamweaver moving over to OSX platform I wondered if there might be a chance they will get made to work on any Unix.

The problem that I have ran into right now is that I know it's built on Unix but I can't find out where it actually differs if at all. I have been told that several Unix programs will run on it. So I was wondering if any of the OSX programs would run on another Unix box.

iirc, osx dosnt use the config files in /etc as one would expect it to. it has its own method of storing settings which is similar to the windows registry.

Even if OSX has a Unix core, that does not mean a Unix executable can run on OSX or vice versa because compiled binaries are not platform-independent (as least you need to compile an app from source on that platform, which you don't have).

AFAIK both apps are not usable on Unix. For graphics, use GIMP. For HTML development, there is no WYSIWYG editor on Unix I know of. The closest are HTML-based editors like quanta and bluefish.

mozillas composer is a wysiwyg html editor, there are others but i dont remember any other names offhand.

I use Gimp and have been trying to work with it more to get better. Still odd to me switching from Photoshop over. quanta is what I have used but I just downloaded Bluefish to try out.