How do I change my IP via terminal?

Hi, guys, I was using an online utility to check wheather or not an email existed, and they gave me three tries. I thought clearing temp and cookies would work, but it looks like they grabbed a hold of my IP. :mad: Now, I'd like to make a shell script that changes my IP. Not bad...yet. I'm using Wlan on a tablet PC that has no network jack. Thanks in advance for the help.

---------- Post updated at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:34 PM ----------

BTW, I'm using Fedora, so the script will have to be compatible with RedHat. Also, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting with a 30 second pause between, and my IP still hasn't changed.

Not clear. Pls show your setup, applications involved, and error messages on top of explaining what you have tried so far.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Basically all I want is the combination to get my router to give me a new IP.

Internal IP ? use dhcp. External IP? Disconnect and reconnect, provider will give you a new IP.

Provider...you mean ISP?

---------- Post updated at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:18 PM ----------

bash: dhcp: command not found

Yes, Provider = ISP

c.f. $ man dhclient

Use a proxy, or a VPN, to obfuscate your IP address.

yourPC ==> proxy ==> targetSystem
your_IP --> proxy_IP --> targetSystem sees the proxy_IP instead of your_IP

None of this makes sense.

If you are behind most firewalls, then you are going through a NAT, which obfuscates your IP. Since you are using a tablet, your isp is probably either the phone/cable company (like verizon) or is leasing that service from those utilities.

As mentioned dhcp gives you a new IP whenever you reconnect to your ISP. Unless your router is using "4G", which is a cell phone connection. In that case your phone/cable company is actually connected to the internet. Not you. You are off somewhere else. You are really ultimately a phone number or simm card id, even thru a router.

So unless you can prove me wrong, I cannot see how "they" could "get" your IP. Whatever that means.

Contact your provider like verizon or whoever.. If you think you are blacklisted from a bunch of sites they can fix it. If in fact that is the case. And all those issues are external to your tablet anyway.