How can i restrict user high cpu usage?

HI

In my M5000 , one of domain is having SAp installed. from today onwards we are facing some stange issue.

when we start SAP application, that particular user is taking 95 % of system CP and renaming 5 % is taken by system . because of this reason application is slow.

i have 4 CPU(32 core) and 64 GB RAM.

10:57:57    %usr    %sys    %wio   %idle
10:58:00      95       4       0       0
10:58:02      96       4       0       0
10:58:04      95       5       0       0
10:58:06      96       4       0       0

and the process is "boe_cmsd" . If any SAP experts here, please help me to guide me from application level too.

Regards,
Ben

"that particular user" - is it SAP admin user or some specific user? You can try to define a project for "that particular user" and limit the project to, say, 60% of CPU. Then start the application and check, how it'll run. For information on projects and resource limits look at "Administering resource management" in Solaris documentation.

But if the domain was built for that particular user and that particular application, then you have only one choice - you need more resources for your application. Speak with your SAP team, what they do, is it temporary or will it be from now on permanent load on the system. If they need more resources, you as an administrator, is obliged to provide them more resources.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Regards
Ben

Running 100% is not necessarily a problem unless it is hurting throughput elsewhere. You can use nice & renice to make the process a lower priority so other processes will get more share of the CPU if there is competition.

Robin

You may want to look to see what jobs are running in SAP and in the database. It could be that a DBA might find an issue with the database and resolve it. The SGA is too small, missing indexes, corrupt blocks, etc... Definitely look at the database.