How can I manage redundant HMC upgrades with firmware upgrades?

Lets says I have 2 HMC's A and B, connected to a p570 managed system.

Right now the firmware level of the p570 is EM320_076 and that needs to be upgraded to EM340_095.

Now the HMC's are at V7R3.3 and as per the code matrix the HMC's needs to be upgraded to V7R3.4 Servicepack 2.

Now my query

1. Should I be upgrading both HMC A & B before upgrading the firmware of p570.

2. If I leave one HMC as it is and upgrade the other one only and then upgrade the firmware level on p570, will there be any issue?

let me know if I not clear.

Balaji

Yes you have to upgrade the HMC(s) before doing the managed system's firmware upgrade.

Once one HMC is upgraded you should be able to do the firmware update but why wouldn't you want to upgrade the 2nd HMC? Going to V7R3.4 SP2 isn't very difficult if I remember correctly.

HTH

Hey Joe..

Thanks for the quick response..

There are other managed systems conected to the HMC and not all of them are going for an upgrade.

Though I would have a backout plan if I just upgrade one of the HMC.

Bala

Since you can reboot (and upgrade) an HMC w/o bringing down any of it's managed systems I guess I don't understand your comment, but no big deal.

Bala,

hmc firmware upgrades are downwards compatible but NOT upwards compatible. If you upgrade only one hmc and than the frame, you will have problems afterwards with the other hmc - if you upgrade both hmcs first, you won't have any issues and your not-upgraded frames won't have issues either.

Kind regards
zxmaus

That makes me clear.

Thanks guys.

Bala