how can i install sqlplus and execute some sql commands

hi everybody,
i am Talip, a begginner at unix based systems and i have a problem (actually, we may think myself as the problem, in this situation).
i am not sure if this is the correct platform for my questions. if it is not please forgive me about this inappropriate mail.

what i have:

• an ibm P550 server
  • an AIX os version 5300-07
  • a CDE desktop manager
  • an oracle database -already installed and running
  • an ssh and x client connection to this server from an other machine
  • html based enterprise manager interface

what i have to do:

• to execute some basic (but too many) sql statements; in order to create some new tablespaces on the existing database instance (name of the database is TTM)
  • i have already have some .dmp files to import.

my questions are:

1. i am not sure about if there is an sqlplus like application has already installed, or not, on the machine. how can i check?
  2. how can i install sqlserver by using the ssh or terminal connection? (assuming that the related files are copied in to the directory "/home/talip")
    2.1 after the installation, how can i switch to the sqlplus, from the terminal connection?

thank you very much for your valuable responses,
Talip.

Hi,
this question would better fit in "UNIX and Linux Applications", but anyway - to answer your questions (for Oracle-Versions 7.3 - 10.2):

1. Usually sqlplus is installed with database server software. It's the DBAs last resort tool and therefor I never saw an installation excluding it. In order to use it your user-environment has to be set up correctly:
    a) The variables ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME have to be defined. In your case you have to set ORACLE_SID = TTM. To determin the correct value for ORACLE_HOME have a look at the file /etc/oratab. There should be a line
TTM:/your/ORACLE_HOME/path:Y

in that file (maybe N instead of Y). Set ORACLE_HOME accordingly.
b) Adjust your resource limit to enable you to handle large files (database files usually are huge): ulimit -f unlimited .
c) Optional: Add $ORACLE_HOME:/bin to your PATH (or call the oracle-utilities using their full path).

1. Sorry I don't understand.

2.1. Given your environment is set up correctly (and the PATH variable includes $ORACLE_HOME:/bin) just type sqlplus . Then you have to enter username and password.

About your import task:
You have to find out how those files were created. If the tool used to create them was expdp use impdp to import, else imp (usage like sqlplus).

Stefan

stefan,

thank you very much for your detailed help and expalanations...

talip.