How can I install Solaris 10 on an LDom using an iso?

Hello,

I am trying to install Solaris 10 on a newly created LDom. Here are the commands I ran to create the LDom:

ldm add-domain ldg2
ldm add-vcpu 8 ldg2
ldm add-memory 2g ldg2
ldm add-vnet vnet2 primary-vsw0 ldg2
ldm add-vdsdev /dev/dsk/c0t5000CCA01535E20Cd0s0 vol2@primary-vds0 
ldm add-vdisk vdisk2 vol2@primary-vds0 ldg2
ldm set-var auto-boot\?=true ldg2
ldm set-var boot-device=vdisk2 ldg2
ldm add-vdisk vdisk_iso iso_vol@primary-vds0 ldg2

Here is my binding info:

VDS
    NAME             VOLUME         OPTIONS          MPGROUP        DEVICE
    primary-vds0     iso_vol                                        /data/iso/sol-10-u11-ga-sparc-dvd.iso
                     vol2                                           /dev/dsk/c0t5000CCA01535E20Cd0s0

DISK
    NAME             VOLUME                      TOUT ID   DEVICE  SERVER         MPGROUP
    vdisk2           vol2@primary-vds0                0    disk@0  primary      
    vdisk_iso        iso_vol@primary-vds0             1    disk@1  primary

When I start the LDom and run devalias, this is the output:

{0} ok devalias
vdisk_iso                /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/disk@1
vdisk2                   /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/disk@0
vnet2                    /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0
net                      /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0
disk                     /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/disk@0
virtual-console          /virtual-devices/console@1
name                     aliases

I ran the command boot vdisk_iso:f to launch the installation process, and I am running into a problem when it asks me to "Choose Media." I am not sure if I am supposed to choose CD/DVD or Network File System, because both of them seem incorrect. If I choose CD/DVD, I get this error:

ERROR: The disc you inserted is not a Solaris OS CD/DVD.

And when I select Network File System, it asks me to supply a path to the ISO. I tried entering localhost:/virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/disk@1 and localhost:/vdisk_iso but I get

ERROR: Unable to mount image

I used this same ISO file a while back to create an LDom on this same system, so I believe the ISO file is not the problem. I don't remember having to enter any media information the last time I installed Solaris on an LDom but I am not positive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

You can try to mount your iso image using lofiadm, this command create a special file that you can use to simulate cd-rom/dvd.

Then use ldom command to add virtual device as cdrom/dvd.

then from boot prompt boot from cdrom.

NB: make verification on your obp regarding the aliases and devices

• # lofiadm -a /path/to/cd.iso
    OUTPUT: /dev/lofi/1
  • # ldm add-vdsdev /dev/lofi/1 cdrom@primary-vds0
  • ok boot cdrom

PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK :wink:

2 Likes

or your .iso might be corrupt. Did you md5sum it and verify it?

This worked, thank you! Any idea why mounting my method wasn't working? I remember it working the last time I tried.

Thank you for the suggestion. How would I do this? I tried running the digest command but I got an error:

root@sol10:/iso# digest -a md5 sol-10-u11-ga-sparc-dvd.iso
digest: crypto operation failed for file sol-10-u11-ga-sparc-dvd.iso: CKR_ARGUMENTS_BAD

I am working in Solaris 11

digest -a md5

works for me
as does

md5sum

however I don't believe md5sum is available in solaris 10 unless you add it.

I just copied the file to one of my solaris 10 vm's to test Digest (ironically on the same file) and it functioned correctly. This would lead me to believe your file is corrupt.

1 Like

Hello

VDS     
NAME             VOLUME         OPTIONS          MPGROUP        DEVICE     
primary-vds0     iso_vol                                        /data/iso/sol-10-u11-ga-sparc-dvd.iso                      
                           vol2                                           /dev/dsk/c0t5000CCA01535E20Cd0s0 

DISK     
NAME             VOLUME                      TOUT ID   DEVICE  SERVER         MPGROUP     
vdisk2           vol2@primary-vds0                0    disk@0  primary           
vdisk_iso        iso_vol@primary-vds0           1    disk@1  primary

I think that your device is visible as an iso file then this file is not bootable, you must be export this iso file before used it for booting.

I think also it can worked, if you extract the iso file on your device before any attachement on the virtual disk

Good Luck

1 Like

Perhaps this is the problem then. Thank you for the help!

Strange, I thought I had it set up the same way before and it worked. Oh well. Thank you again!

You welcome :wink:

I think that your first method should work corectly.
In documentation everything is exactly like you did (old firmware version 1.2)

# ldm add-vdsdev /export/images/sol-10-u5-ga-sparc-dvd.iso dvd-iso@primary-vds0
# ldm stop-domain ldom1
# ldm add-vdisk s10-dvd dvd-iso@primary-vds0 ldom1
# ldm start-domain ldom1

I have never used ISO to install ldom but maybe it didn't work because you add iso file to more than one ldom.
I remember that a few years ago, when I was instaling ldoms, I had to add cd/dvd with "read only" options, when I was added it to more than one ldoms, although there was nothing about that in documentation.
It was something like this:

# ldm add-vdsdev options=ro /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2 dvd1@primary-vds0
# ldm add-vdisk dvd dvd1@primary-vds0 ldom1
# ldm bind-domain ldom1
# ldm start-domain ldom1

I think it's worth to try, just for exercise.