How big is AIX installed base (i.e. number of deployed systems)?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows the approximate size of the AIX installed base, i.e. number of machines running out there. I'm expecting a figure of less than a million.

There seems to be a lack of info on the web. Presumably only IBM know for sure!

I dont think anyone could answer this kind of question - except you want to count physical frames ever sold - what is not fair since one eg p595 frame can contain just a single system or a part of it when its in a grid - or a couple of hundred?

Kind regards
zxmaus

This is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, and figures are available for other OSs such as Windows (they estimate around 1 billion and rising for the windows installed base, and I've seen a figure of a little over 1 million for Solaris).

The majority of AIX systems will be on an IBM support contract, and you could statisticaly estimate the typical ratio of systems not on support versus those that are. Then IBM could tell us straight away what the installed base is, to a reasonable accuracy.

I disagree. It is common practice for analysts to estimate an install base. In addition, many publicly traded companies release this information to stockholders.