Hot Keys

I am a new user, using Unix in a DOS window. Can I set up Hot Keys to run a script? Example - A12.1.13.15 aaaaBbbbCccc
Thank you,
cwtlr

What do you mean by using UNIX in a DOS window? Are you connecting to a shell with ssh or something like that?

I'm not sure I understand your example. You want to type in A12.1.13.15 and have it come out as aaaaBbbbCccc? Try

$ alias A12.1.13.15="echo 'Hello there'"
$ A12.1.13.15
Hello there
$

Thanks for your reply.
Many of the commands I use are preceeded with the same series of letter/number combinations. For example "P14.1.166.444 AaaaBbbbCccc". I'm looking for a hot key that I can replace that long letter/number preceeder with.
cwtlr

Again, alias can do what you want.

$ alias abc="P14.1.166.444"
$ abc ...

If you're looking for special key combinations to do that, that's not going to be in the shell, that'd be configured in whatever client program you use to connnect -- your "DOS window", which I'm assuming is actually an SSH window to UNIX. A DOS window would have DOS.

Thanks for the advise. I guess I don't understand how to use the alias. I'm in the Command Prompt window. I type alias, then a space, then the letter combination that I want to replace my long string with (example - pri=), then the string that I'm replacing, enter. After that, when I type pri it is the same thing as typing the long string that I was using. This doesn't work. Is there a space or other key I'm missing, or did I mis-understand your instruction?
Thanks.
cwtlr

Hi Dude!!!!!

Before doing that just check which shell r u using.
Alias command differs from shell to shell.
For Info check the man page.

man alias

Cheers
kishor

Thanks. I'll check.

I got the alias working. It was just a matter of being in the correct directory.
Thanks everyone.
cwtlr