hey i just got a Sun ultra 5!!!

ok what software do i need to view what is displaying on the sun so that in can copy and paste it here?
im also brining the sun back to my house sothat i will have direct access to it whenever
so i soneone can post a link to the software i need that would be great i allready have the cable and will connect it soon
ty for all the help this sun has become an obsession of mine im not giving up till i get ti working

you will need a terminal software... depends on the os you use with your "admin station"... solaris has the "tip" tool. you can use teraterm from windows or minicom from linux...

im using either xp or 2000 idk what one at the moment il get back here this weekend
thanks for all your help

ok im back i have the sun ultra 5 at my house with a serial cable and im installing terminal software as im typing this

now i have 2 questions
1 cna i get any type of disc and format the whole thing? if so can someone give me a link and second is how do i use terminal software? i have the real term serial capture program but i have no clue how to use it the pcs are connected togather by a serial cable but other than that i do not know much about serial cables and such

The three things you should have connected to your Sun 5 are....

power
network cable into LAN port
serial cable on connector "A"

nothing else.

Connect the other end of the serial cable to the serial port on a PC or laptop running windows. Then use Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications->Hyperterm and create a new profile and use 9600,n,8,1 as the settings.

Then when you power on the Ultra5 it should start sending information down the serial cable and you should see this on your terminal, if you don't you most probably need a null-modem to swap the TX/RX wires over.

From here you can do "Ctrl-Break" and it should reply with "ok"

then do "boot cdrom" with the 1st disk in the drive. Then go through the menus....

You can copy and paste the contents of the terminal screen here to assist us in helping you.

ok first of all i should not have monitor or keyboard plugged in jsut what u said ?
than why is the network wire nessary to be plugged in?
than what is a null modem?

i will try what you siad
by the way do you have a screen name i can contact you with?

If you want the box on the network it is easier for the wire to be in and to configure it during OS installation.

What's a "screen name"?

We do all our posting on topics here as a record of solutions to common problems.

ok nevermind than about the screen name
ok first of all i should not have monitor or keyboard plugged in jsut what u said ?
than what is a null modem?
also whan i do the hyperterm wha should i put in under "connect using" com 1, com 2, com 3, tcip, or soft v92 data fax modem

Yes.

try the serial cable first, then if you are getting nothing after a few attempts, add a null modem in the chain, this swaps the RS232 TX and RX wires over.

PC -- COM1 ------ RS232 CABLE -- SERIAL A -- ULTRA5

PC -- COM1 ---- NULL MODEM ---- RS232 CABLE -- SERIAL A -- ULTRA5

ok than it asks me my port settings
bits per second
data bits
panity
stop bits
flow control

wha should all those be?

9600 bps
8 bits
no parity
1 stop bit
no flow control

should do for starters, if problems then add hardware flow control.

and im connecting to the com 1 rite?

allright i have got it paused during one of its runthroughs
heres what i did
i got to the ok prompt type in boot cdrom
it reboots boots into the cd rom mode
now i know it is reading the cd because
i see some messages displayed copywright blah blah blah and it says 1966-2007 so it is reading the disc

than it runs and gives me this

Sun-msg-id: sunos-8000-og, type: error. ver: 1 sevirity: major
event time: blah blah blah
platform: blah blah blah
Source: sunos rev5.10 generic blah blah blah
desc: errors been detected that require reboot for system integrity see Sun Message ID: SUNOS-8000-0G
auto response: blha blah
impact:blah blah
rec-action: blah blah
and than it gives me a bunch of code and stuff

Can you post the first line of booting from device .....

Are you getting hardware problems? If you have just received this machine have you checked everything is connected firmly inside.

A good check is to carefully remove and reseat the DIMMS, also disconnected and reconnect each disk cable.

russian460: Nick? Is this the Ultra 5 that is on my workbench and I am working on now?

Nick, if your configuration is the same as the one you gave me, try to remove the 64's first, if that doesn't work, remove the 32's and replace the 64's where the smaller ones came from.

just keep in mind that they have to be run in pairs, don't mix and match