Help with Stubborn Sun Ultra Enterprise 450

Hello everyone...yesterday i've received a Sun Ultra E450 Server Unit and when I try to boot from everything it asks me for Firmware Password.:rolleyes:
The unit hasn't been used for 10 years...so no one doesn't yet remember the password.:smiley:
Ok,I've searched on the Internet all day long finding something about resetting the NVRAM by numerous tries like:
1.Replacing the NVRAM backwards and powering up for couple of seconds.Working.It brings the ok console to me but when I start to install Solaris 7,after reset it comes again asking for password. :frowning:
2.Finding another NVRAM chip.It costs 20$ plus the taxes bringing it from U.S. to Romania. (There might be an ultimate option,IF the price will be set under max. 50$) :smiley:
3.I have managed to chop the NVRAM chip dismantling the internal lithium battery and coupling an CR 2032 type.It still asking for Firmware Password :wall:
4.Supposing that an init sequence containing the password requirement should be on the hard drives....i've took them all out of the bays...Guess what......Firmware Password :wall:?
What's the explanation?It was supposed to fin loose all the data from the NVRAM after I unplug its own power source.
Right now I've started to OBP with the NVRAM chip disconnected from any of it's backup batteries.It still asks for a Firmware Password.Is there any storage chip on the Motherboard?
It there any possibility to override that sequence or do I need to buy another ST M48T59Y? (Yeah,that's that f
in NVRAM chip)

Thanks in advance to all who might have an extra idea to this Chubby Stubby Sun E450

10 years ago I was able to reset the firmware password on a sparc station 5 by buying a new NVRAM chip, and ultimately got the sparc station 5 working. I'm guessing that NVRAM holds its contents without power.

If you want to play with Sun hardware you should look for a sunfire T2000 or a sunfire V245 online, they both come standard with either DVD or CDROM drives, they each hold at least 6 SCSI drives, they are likely to have more memory than an E450. The T2000 has 16 core cool threads processors, so 2 CPU's will give you 32 crappy cores!!! :wink: Both servers will probably use less power than an E450. If you want a retro end table, the E450 would be ideal!!! :slight_smile:

From the ok prompt, try:
setenv security-mode none

What they call nvram these days is most likely eeprom, which does indeed hold contents without power...

Well, E450 is not really from "these days". :smiley: It's not even from the current century.

EEPROM replaced RAM-with-batteries for most purposes except clocks in the early 90's.

The ST M48T59 is a clock chip with extra RAM. It might be used for the password, or might not...