Help with SSH

Hi,

I have a special scenario with SSH. I need to sftp a file with in the server for different user. Say I have User Scott in Server A who created a file. Now Scott needs to transfer the file to John who is also a user of Server A.

Here you may ask why don't you use cp command, but due to permissions of Destination folder we are unable to copy that file.

I tried with creating the id_rsa.pub file for Scott and appended to John's Authorized_keys. But still it is asking password while connecting.

To cross verify, I setup'ed a SSH connection from Server A to Server B. It is fine. Also tested the above mentioned scenario in another environment. It is also running fine.

We can't do SSH with in the server ? I don't think so (Correct me).

Any solutions for this ? Also alternatives.

Thanks.

To my knowledge SSH/SFTP/SCP could be executed on a remote machine or between 2 hosts, it does not work within a same host/ip/machine. Though you have 2 users the server is the same, hence you need to use cp command. Since there is some permission issue while copying files, create a common directory where both the users can access the files and proceed further..

Both the users are from different groups. If I give permissions to Scott group then all others will also get. This directory actually contains important files and the permissions are set as 744, only John have complete access.

Then you would need to create a new group and add Scott and John as the only members to it and then place files in a common place :smiley:

I think ACL can come to your help in this case.