help with solaris 10

hey guys im new to this unix stuff very new wanting to learn. I have dvd solaris 10 from sun.com....i dont have any book that will guide me on solaris 10 ...where can i find or buy a book that pretain to this system....from introduction to advace .....help if can ......could not install the disc due to not have material to guy....or help.....

Maybe you can try this link

Regards,

heru

Hello i have a problem when loading Solaris 10 in the computer. It did not pop up anythings...what i see is on the command line it gave me somthing like this...

LILO...

HELP I DONT EVEN SEE MY WINDOW SCREEN ANYMORE IT JUST DISAPPEAR....THAT THE PROBLEM IT ACCUR...

I'd say its got something to do with the hardware or something, but i haven't tryed as of yet, so i'm not sure. makes you wander though.
I'll see what i can do to help...............

I'm not sure if this will help, but try wiki, see if you can dig anything up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris\_Operating_System

You're going to have to give more information than this. You could not have gotten a LILO error from Solaris. It does not use LILO and never did. Before Grub the "sun boot loader" was used.

i'd say its got to be somthing to do with the hardware or first boot loader?

Possibly grub, without the actual error message there is absolutely no way to tell. New users often mistake X not starting for something more serious. Best to wait for a more informative post from the OP, as bad advice based on assumptions costs time ( and money in my line of work ) so I prefer to know the facts first.

fair play, i gess i can't really give advice seeing as i'm inexperenced in this field.

thanks guy will somehow my computer when first load it just prom an

LILO...

it would not let me load Solaris 10 .....I dont know whats going on....so what is LILO.....how come i lost my window screen......can anyone help me trying to go back on window screen ....i dont have recovery dis for this computer....thanks

1. What was your machine running before you did anything with the DVD?

2. What did you do with the DVD? Did you try to boot from it?

3. If you were intending to install Solaris on your box, why are you now worried about recovering information from it?

4. What, seriously, do you mean by "window"?

5. Have you ever installed an operating system before?

hey guys here what i did today on the system

I run a recovery disc to recover my system for window 98.. after recovery when ask to reboot the system i reboot them...and what i see when it booting it pop up a command prom like this...

LIL -

not else after there....this happen when i first load Linux OS 6 server but I did something that i dont remember and when it load it prom that

LIL-

this could not take me or wont let me do anythings to the system if i had try to recover 3 times running recovery disc....help appreciated any expert out there can see whats wrong...

problem ......see LIL- when booting and stuck there and wont do anythings else...

thanks guy

What other operating systems do you think you have on your machine?

Currently it sounds like you have/had Linux and Windows 98 dual booted with LILO.

Where was Solaris supposed to go?

boot from the win98 disk, in dos mode.

and enter

fdisk /mbr

then reboot. All being well you will at least get windows back.

i could not type anythings in the command line....just have LIL- on the screen .....how can i be able to type in there....kinda stupid question because im new using this os......everytime when i boot the system it just came on with LIL- nothning else ...i would like to know how am i going to get this out and i dont know what is LIL-........thanks guy for all your help

i ran a recovery disc for my computer but still did not get window back ...all i see is LIL- when system is booting...nothning else.....i thought when u do a backup recovery for your computer it should prom a window screen but nothing is there only LIL- and i dont know what i need to do trying to get the screen back to its orginal system .....

any suggestion would be appreciated .....

LILO is a boot loader. It's job in life is to load boot load other operating systems.

Most probably LILO was installed when you put Linux on. It did not just appear by itself. Most probably it also gave you the option to boot either windows or Linux.

The suggestion to run 'fdisk /mbr' was to run from a Win98 installation CD or boot floppy.

ok guys thanks alot for all your help...i finally got my window back ...just need to install xp on to the system.....but i have another problem when loading Solaris 10 on to the system it did not read or load or reganized the DVD that i got from sun.com.....so if u can guy this beginner how to load this and make it work i appreciated very much.....i know im not good at this because i am beginner and wants to learn...thanks

Hi, rxsonny..
If your PC can't automatic detecting bootloader from your Disk or no default instruction to change boot device ,
Maybe you can change your first boot device to Disk Drive in BIOS setting.
if still can't boot from Disk, I think your Disk was broken.

Regards,

heru

HI Heru 90,

Thanks so much for help me out ,,,well i have load window xp into my system and when i load solaris 10 that i got from sun.com. The solaris disc is fine not broken but when i load it can not bring up the dvd even when i complete shutdown and turn it back on. Can anyone here help y my disc can not detect from the booting the computer.....thanks for helping beginner I me...appreciated it....i really need this to install so i can learn from there.....

thanks
guys as a team