Help with set GID File Locking

Hello,

I ls -al to see the permission of a file and there is 1 file have strange permission. It's a "l" instead of "x".

-rwxr-lr-x   1 root     other      24905 Jan 11  2007 /etc/vx/isis/Registry.pre-ddlpro
-rw-r-lr--   1 root     root           0 Jan 6 43:25 /tmp/.ai.pkg.zone.lock-afdb66cf-1dd1-11b2-a049-000d560ddc3e

I try to google as much as I could and I think it is a file locking which cause by set GID. I think this file (/etc/vx) was set GID and it was lock.

The question is I really have no idea why it is locked?

I read some other topic and someone say that I should take a look here ==> man lockf(3C) (lockf(3C) � record locking on files (man pages section 3: Basic Library Functions) - Sun Microsystems) and Unix File Permissions

However, I still do not understand why the permission show "l" instead of "x" or "s" (or maybe "S").

please help me.

See: http://www.unix.com/tips-tutorials/19060-unix-file-permissions.html\#post302137556

It's a long thread but in post number 4 I discuss this issue.

Thank you very much. Actually, I saw your topic already but I do not understand clearly. I will take a time and read carefully it again :smiley: