Help with permissions for a file.

Hello all,

We have newly configured a Storage Manager (SM) to run backups for our DB, but the SM program is failing with an error which says no permissions on smerr.log, I understand that the user running SM must have write permission on the file.

The problem is even though I give the file a 666 it is reverting back to 640 in a few weeks. :frowning: :wall:

I have very little knowledge about the SM but my best guess on what is happening is SM is recreating the file and hence it is getting the default Umask values but the people managing the SM say it only creates if the smerr.log file does not exist or appends errors into the existing file but never overwrite an existing file.

For now I have set a CRON job which is spooling the permissions of the file to a log every hour so that I can check when they are changing.

I want to know how to check if the file is being recreated by some process and when it is being recreated.

OS is Solaris 9

Any help is very much appreciated,
Thank you! :slight_smile:

Can the user running SM not own the file? The file is probably owned by another system-level account.

I would have a look though all crontabs, checking for the word: chmod and/or smerr.log -- to start with. Check to see if smerr.log ever closed and rewritten as well. As in logrotate - when you send SIGHUP to a daemon, maybe the SM daemon.