Help with OpenGL in Fedora Core 4.

I'm pretty much new to this Linux stuff, I installed FC4 the other night to try it out.

I'm having a slight problem when launching Quake 3, it's giving me the error GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

I've updated my video drivers to the latest version and went through fglrxconfig, FC4 is also completely up to date including the latest Mesa release.

I tried symlinking and actually copying libGL.so and libGL.so.1 from my /usr/lib/ directory to my /quake3/demoq3/ directory. It's still not finding the accelerated hardware. Quake3 launches if I run ./quake3 +set r_allowSoftwareGL 1

It's so slow in software that it's not useable. Any ideas on what else I can try when I get home from work today? I've also ran glxgears and get 300+fps.

Here's the vital parts to my rig:
Gigabyte 8IK-1100 (upgrading soon)
P4 2.8C (upgrading to A64 3700+ soon)
ATi 9800 Pro 128MB
768MB PC2100 DDR (I know, I know... but I'm upgrading to 2x512MB PC3200 soon)
Western Digital 160GB - IDE - 8MB Buffer

Any other useful information I can provide, let me know and I'll do my best. :slight_smile: Thank you for looking.

Well, after some more looking, I found this over at FedoraForum.org - hopefully this'll work for me.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63910&highlight=opengl\+fc4

Just to let anyone know who views this in search of a similar problem, the link above fixed my problem. Now I get 4700+fps in glxgears and Quake3 runs smooth as glass. :smiley:

Do you have a

Load "glx"

option in your X-config?