Help with gcc programming

I need a lot of help with c programming.

I have the source code.

Running configure, I got one error message about a missing library.

I downloaded and successfully compiled it in another dir.

Do I throw all the new files into my source dir and run configure again ?

Thanks.

No. cd to the directory where everything 'configured' correctly.
Read the README file. It may not be spelled just as I spelled it.

And. Next time please be more specific about what you are compiling. If you went to a car repair shop and asked advice then said, "My car doesn't run". You would get lots of questions. Like what make and model, what did you do, etc. UNIX is no different.
I just did not feel like playing 20 questions, so I gave you an answer which is almost as generic as your question.

Usually after configure you run the command (in the directory where configure runs):
make or
make install -= you have to be root to run this last one correctly.

Again, find and read the readme file.

I do not think you understood my post or you are a bit impatient.

My post had plenty of details.

Both directories have configure.

One configure in each directory, one for the library and one for the source code.

Since every directory is not in the path, gcc will not have all it needs to compile the program if it is run within the SOURCE directory.

Have a great evening.

In fairness, you still haven't mentioned what you are compiling, the specific errors you received or the code you are trying to run. Jim mcnamara may have sounded harsh, but its true you are not providing much for anyone to review.

If you simply need to link a library when compiling with gcc, this can be done with the -L flag. You can use it to link to a library stored anywhere on the system. Documention on this can be found at the link below:

https://www.cs.swarthmore.edu/~newhall/unixhelp/howto\_C_libraries.html

Hope that sheds some light.