Help with excluding .Trashes in an rsync backup

I'm using this script to backup an external hdd to another external hdd -

rsync -aE --delete --exclude Volumes/Disk\ A/.Trashes "/Volumes/Disk A" "/Volumes/Disk A Backup"

The source drive being "Disk A", and the drive I wish to backup to being "Disk A Backup".

I'm constantly getting this error, despite trying multiple variations of the exclude part of the command -

rsync: opendir "/Volumes/Disk A/.Trashes" failed: Permission denied (13)

Also, I don't know if this is related but the command will copy any new files over, but won't delete folders/files on the backup drive that have been removed from the source.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Where is .Trashes, actually?

It's a hidden folder, in the root directory of Disk A. So I guess its path would be "/Volumes/Disk A/.Trashes"... Forgive my horribly basic understanding of unix!

Hidden entry names start with '.', so maybe "/.Volumes/Disk A/.Trashes" ?

The error makes it sound more like a permission problem.

Send an 'ls -lLd "/Volumes/Disk A/.Trashes" '.

--exclude Volumes/Disk\ A/.Trashes

You have excluded the .Trashes directory but not any of the content that it contains. When a user puts a file or directory in the Trash from a mounted rw device the file or directory is moved to the .Trashes directory on that device. The OS creates a directory within .Trashes named with the user's uid with the content to be trashed. So, either create mutiple PATTERNS or unlink everthing inside the .Trashes directory before runnning rsync.