help with awk script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    The script should compute the sale amounts per associate for the year 2010 and print them in a sorted list ranked according to the sales amount.
    Here is an example of the script invocation using the data provided in the example file: % awk -f report inputfile
    Lazy Acres, Inc.
    2010 Sales Associates Ranking
    Name Position Sales Amount
    ==========================================
    Buck, Fast Stock Boy 2630.78
    Rush, George Salesman 1049.79
    Worker, Susan Manager 360.00
    Doe, John Clerk 134.01
    Lindon, Rosemary Producer 31.00
    Miller, Dennis Comedian 9.902. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

2. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

BEGIN {
    FS=":"
    printf("%s\n", "Lazy Acres, Inc.")
    printf("%s\n", "2009 Sales Associates Ranking")
    printf("%-25s %-15s %15s\n", "Name", "Position", "Sales amount")
    print("=========================================================")
}

# Associates
NF == 3 {

associates[$1] = $2 ":" $3
}

# Products
NF == 4 {
    products[$1] = $4;
}

# Sales
NF == 5 && $4 ~ /2010/ {
     sales[associates[NF]] = sales[associates[NF]] + ($3 * products[$2])
}

END{
#for loop to print
for (i in sales) {
   printf("%15s %41.2f\n", associates, sales) | "sort -nr"
 }
}

it prints out the sum of all the sales instead of each individual sale, if I refer to "NF" as "$NF" then it prints out each sale individually but I don't think I'm supposed to do that. Also nothing prints for ''associates[i]" in printf. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I attached the input file also if that helps.

1. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):NIU/Ege/330

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

You are making things harder for yourself by trying to store both associate name and position in the array, if this isn't a requirement put them in seperate arrays associate_name and associate_position:

They you can reference the fields directly when outputing:

printf("%-25s %-15s %15s\n", associate_name, associate_position, sales);

Just use the same field(associate ID?) as the index in sales and associate, assumption here is that associate ID is in the sales record (you didn't give us the inputfile layout, my guess is that is what field 5 in this record is).

sales[$5]+= ($3 * products[$2]);