Help Using Grep Command

Hello Everyone,

As a fairly new user, I am attempting to better my Linux skills. Operating in Ubuntu has thus far been a fairly easy process, but I am having some trouble learning how to use the grep command. I have a series of .txt files and need identify which of the .txt files contain the status code �301" using the grep command. If anyone has suggestions regarding how I could go about this, they would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried anything yourself ?

Regards
Peasant.

Peasant,

Thank you for your reply. I was researching this issue for almost two hours last night, and I did not come up with anything that appeared to be useful. I understand how the grep command works- specifically to find patterns, etc- but I don't exactly understand what I am trying to find. This is a challenge provided to me, but with no experience with grep, it's proven to be difficult.

Best,
Jacrispy

grep 301 *.txt
1.txt:301
2.txt:301

this would be the simplest solution. it lists in which file the text 301 is present.

Hi Jacrispy,

It may be that grep is the correct tool for your task, however until you furnish information about the task - we can't be much more specific than eleenrose.

An analogy is a microscope is good for looking at the miniscule and close, but to look for Stars you probably need a telescope.

If we don't know what the problem is it isn't easy to give the proper help and advice.

Regards

Gull04

1 Like

Hello All,
Thank you for your feedback thus-far. I have attached two images with sample grep outputs that I have been able to run. The output found in the first link raises a question in my mind that I am hoping someone may be able to answer. Specifically line number 297 that is displayed: I am attempting to find 301 & 302 status codes within each of the text files I have downloaded (I understand that 301 is a permanent redirect and 302 is temporary) but I am not sure what I am really looking at in this output. Compared to the second image where the 302 is highlighted, the 301 in the first image is not in the same position (by this I mean the difference between: ' 302 0 ' in the first link, and ' 200 301 ' in the second.) Could anyone help me understand if the position of 301 or 302 makes a difference regarding if it is a status output or not? Apologies in advance for any confusion this response may cause, I am trying to relay as much information as possible as clearly as I can!

Thank you all,

Jacrispy

Hi,

I'm going to suggest that the following HTTP 301 and HTTP302 code pages are well worth a read, should answer your question.

Regards

Gull04

Why is everyone posting screenshots of text lately?

You can see that one of those 301's is not being found inside the code, but the page's URL itself.

You could try looking for " 301 ", that is space 301 space, to reduce the chances of this happening.