Help understanding aspell logic

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    I am working on a script to create a spell check assignment. I have the code written , but it is not working. To help me understand more, it would help if someone gave me the logic for this statement:
    check=(`aspell list -p ~/.checked < $1`)

What exactly is this doing? Mostly, what is being put into check and what is < $1 putting into what is on the right of it? Is it suppose to be ` around whats in the parantheses? Thanks you in advance if someone can help.

1. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

2. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
    I believe that the words that aspell does not find in its dictionary is what is stored in in check, but I am not sure.

3. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
    Northern Illinois, DeKalb, US, Mr. Ege 330

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

Look at the man page for your shell and search for the phrases Command Substitution and Arrays (compound assignments).

1 Like