Help to understand AIX

Hey Guys..

Need a help to learn AIX as well do certification.

Which Version of AIX would be foundation to understand :wall:

I work with Solaris Operating system.

Thanks in advance

AIX 7.x, I imagine.

IBM has a mountain of Redbooks on all aspects of AIX. The internet also has a ton of stuff. You could learn a lot by searching it.

Thanks scott..

Suggest you learn the version you are going to be supporting. No point in learning 7 (for example) if you�re machines are 5.x

Besides, most of the basic stuff from AIX 5.x and 6.x still applies to 7.x.

AIX is known for the vast and high-quality documentation available online.

If you are going to certify - study AIX 7.1.

Here is the base certification for anything re: IBM Certified AIX System Administrator (in other words, do not concern yourself with the AIX "Operator" certification).

Most employers will agree to sending employees the AIX Jumpstart for UNIX Professionals class.

Hope this helps!

In my opinion, you can start with 5.3 then just look for the enhancements on the future versions. IBM has this very documented. They don't really change much on the commands but on features and enhancement. 7.1 is the newest but from where I work, we still don't have it. Most are still on 6.1 and 5.3s.

Hello all,

I wanted to do AIX 7 cetification. Which books can I refer so that I will qualify the exam.
Waiting for replies.

Thanks.

See the pinned thread in our board. There is a link to IBMs Redbook site. "Redbooks" are books written to explain in-depth a certain issue and are usually quite exhaustive. Search there for "AIX" and "administration" and you will surely get some usefull titles.

All Redbooks are in ".pdf" format and can be downloaded for free.

I hope this helps.

bakunin