help on sam

hi, any idea how to get more info on the usage, unix equivalent of sam in hp-ux? thanks

SAM is a frontend to many unix tools
Usage of what?

I think you are asking if HPUX has SAM? Well, it does.

Or are you looking for tools in SAM that can measure usage?

here are several tools you can do a man on that can be run from the command line.

vmstat
iostat
ioscan
sar
glance
netstat

Please clarify what you are talking about.

:slight_smile:

Suggest reading the man page

$ man sam

Quite a bit of info in there with references to other guides to look at.

hi, i understand that sam is a frontend utility. my question is how do i get to understand the unix syntax behind all these functions that are provided by sam?
thanks

Sam has a great feature. It has a log tool that will create a log file. Once you start SAM, go to Options. --> View Sam Log.

You can also go to vi /var/sam/log/samlog.

This will capture everything that is done by SAM. You will need to set the verbose option in SAM to get everything. There will be much more in there than just the syntax but it will show you all the commands that were executed.

I would also suggest you go to www.docs.hp.com to find HPUX documentation for everything from LVM to Ignite and anything else you need. It will be very helpful for you.

Hope this is what you needed.

:cool:

While you can certainly do that, the result will depend on your version of HP-UX. Originally, /var/sam/log/samlog was just a text file and so you could usefully vi it. In recent versions of HP-UX it has become a binary file. You need to use a program called "samlog_viewer" to read it.

thanks, it has been very useful..
;D