Help on activating port 25

Hi,

I have started the sendmail service on aix box, using startsrc -s sendmail.

but when I am using the command telnet <Server ip> 25, it is not showing as port open,

Please suggest.

Regards,

Manu

make sure sendmail started and it is not configured for secure connection only; that is different port number.

Also, are you doing telnet from the same box or a different box? There could be a firewall between that may be preventing the connection.

this is not about server sendmail client, your mail server not listenening smtp or firewall not allow to access, first try to telnet localhost 25 on smtp server, if ok check your firewall rule, if not your mail server not running or not listen on port 25

After starting sendmail service. I have given below command

bash-3.00# telnet localhost 25
Trying...
telnet: connect: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

Regards,

Manu:wall:

can u check this,
cat /etc/services|grep smtp
you have to see,
smtp 25/tcp # Simple Mail Transfer
smtp 25/udp # Simple Mail Transfer

Thanks for all your help/support. my problem was got resolved using alternate command.

startsrc -s sendmail -a "-bd -q30m" ,

but I can't understand sendmail service was not getting started using startsrc -s sendmail command. though it was showing that it is started.

Regards,

Manoj

you need to start it as startsrc -s sendmail -a "-bd -q30m" as the "bd" option is required to run it as a daemon and start port 25 listening. startsrc -s sendmail won't start it in the daemon mode.