Help needed to combine files to excel sheet

Hi,

I have several hundreds of text files which I would like to combine them onto excel sheet. Does anyone know how to combine them into different excel sheet in one workbook using Bash script?

Please advise. THanks.

I forgot to mention my file is something like below:-

A B C
0.3 0.4 0.5
01 0.2 0.2

The file name would be textQ.txt

There are other similar file name such as textP.txt, textO.txt...etc

Anyone could help on this?

Thanks.

Your requirements are pretty vague. man cat

What kinds of files? Why would you want to do such a wicked thing?

Hi,

I checked wiht man cat and it doesnt provide close clue to this. I am actually generated alot of text files and would like to do better comparison among these text files efficiently. And there are thousands of them; which is why I need to find a solution to automate them to worksheets in excel.

Please advise.
Thanks.

I would not attempt any text analysis in Excel, but your call.

If you cat them together, you get one whopping big file. Importing that into Excel is probably challenging but see if you can get it to accept the notion that there simply are no delimiters and it should import one cell per line.

The result is going to be hopeless, but without more details about your plan, that's the best I can offer.

Sorry, didn't notice you had added more information to the original question.

I don't think there is a standard text format which Excel would know to import into different sheets (a Unix forum is not the best place to learn about the features of Excel anyway). Your best bet is to automate this from the Excel side, which is probably painful too, but that seems to be your destiny.