Help moving site

Hi there.
I am completely new to SSH commands.

I basically have a website on a shared server (wordpress site).

Due to traffic on this site, I need to move it to a dedicated server.

I have a free trial on a centOS6 dedicated server, and can access it using Putty and SSH.

I can enable SSH access on the shared server if I need it.

Can anybody advise me on the best way of moving the site across to the dedicated server?

It will be the whole wordpress installation AND the mysql DB.

I really appreciate any help on this :).

Thanks.
Craig

I've had a similar problem to this in the past.

Moving Wordpress to a different site (or system) can be tricky unless you know the internals of Wordpress.

There's a Wordpress plugin called UpdraftPlus that will backup a Wordpress site in it's entirety and store it on the server and, optionally, also send it to a third-party site for safe keeping (eg, Dropbox). You can then easily restore the whole site should it be lost. The backup/restore plugin is free but the authors also offer a 'migration' module for a few dollars; can't remember exactly how much but in the region of US$15 I think.

So for what it's worth I would just pay the fee for the migration module and just let it do its stuff. Simply restore a backup onto the new site.

Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

I do know the internals of Wordpress very well, I've moved sites from server to server (shared servers via ftp) with no issue.

What I have never used however, is SSH on a dedicated server.

This is where I'm going to need the help and advice.

What do I have to do in Putty to get this.

I can backup the whole directory as a zip along with the Database as a .sql file.

I'll put it somewhere like drop box.

And then within Putty I will need to unzip the file I guess to extract the directory structure.

But then, how do I create a database and restore from the .sql?

Thanks.