Help installing WINE and other software

ive installed the open solaris 9 and i have downloaded wine but i dont have a clue how to install it ive unzipd the file but when i click it it just does nothing it opens but its just files im new to solaris i would realy like to know how to install and run programs like vlc player and things any help would be great thanks agin dex

Assuming your are actually running OpenSolaris and not Solaris 9, that would be:

pkg set-authority -P -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/contrib/ contrib.opensolaris.org
pkg install wine

otherwise, please tell more about what you downloaded.

ive tryd that comand in the terminal but seems not finding the wine program i downloaded it from winehq.com and it downloaded to the downloads folder as a TAR.BZ2 file so i extracted that in the downloads file but thats as far as ive got any help would be great finding this process hard to understand!:confused:

Let's start from the beginning. What OS are you running ?

open solaris 2009.06 edition is the op im using.

---------- Post updated at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:28 PM ----------

you there???

Okay, so please post the output of both of the commands I suggested.

---------- Post updated at 22:48 ---------- Previous update was at 22:48 ----------

A forum isn't instant messaging. Please be patient.

Creating Plan -
pkg: The following pattern(s) did not match any packages in the current catalog.
Try relaxing the pattern, refreshing and/or examining the catalogs:

thats all it says?

Did you add the contrib publisher ?

sorry whats that how do i get that?

I told you in post #2.

ohh yes i did as you said and thats the msg that came up ive installed basiclly every thing that comes in the download manager to get it to run i must be doing some thing wrong could you tell me step by step pls ?

---------- Post updated at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:49 AM ----------

after installing the packages from download manager i tryd it agin this is what it looks like
drdex@opensolaris:~$ pkg set-authority -P -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/contrib/ contrib.opensolaris.org

pkg: Could not operate on /var/pkg/cfg_cache
because of insufficient permissions. Please try the command again using pfexec
or otherwise increase your privileges.
drdex@opensolaris:~$ pkg install wine
DOWNLOAD PKGS FILES XFER (MB)
wine 0/1 0/1082 0.00/33.20
pkg: An unexpected error happened while preparing for install:
pkg: An error was encountered while attempting to retrieve package or file data for the requested operation.
pkg: Unable to create download directory /var/pkg/download/incoming-1788: Permission denied

Part that should have warned you highlighted:

You obviously haven't the required privileges. Try again that way as the first message already suggests:

pfexec pkg set-authority -P -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/contrib/ contrib.opensolaris.org
pfexec pkg install wine

i tryd wot you said mate this is wot its done does that mean its installed ? how do i access the program?

drdex@opensolaris:~$ pfexec pkg set-authority -P -O http://pkg.opensolaris.org/contrib/ contrib.opensolaris.org
drdex@opensolaris:~$ pfexec pkg install wine
DOWNLOAD PKGS FILES XFER (MB)
Completed 1/1 1082/1082 33.20/33.20

PHASE ACTIONS
Install Phase 1119/1119
drdex@opensolaris:~$

You run the program that way:

wine path/to/somecommand.exe

im doing wot you said again but nothing runs or pops up like the videos of wine on youtube could you tell me step bye step plz as i said im new to this?

this is wot it says when i type :wine path/to/somecommand.exe

drdex@opensolaris:~$ wine path/to/somecommand.exe
wine: cannot find 'path/to/somecommand.exe'
drdex@opensolaris:~$

That was an example I'm afraid you took too literally.

Can you please clarify what exactly you are expecting wine to do in the first place ?

it was to let me run some windows programs on solaris because its to complicated to run and install programs like divx or games can you plz help?

So have you made these programs you want to run (or at least try to) available to wine on the Solaris filesystem ?

no i ended up with this os because i got a virus on my system and wiped out my windos os and i was advised that open solaris runs on my system so i installed it but its to complicated for me to use so i came across wine that lets you run windows progams on solaris and would make i easy for me to use insted of learning all the code i have to type in to the terminal just to get things to install and run can you help me plz?

---------- Post updated at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:34 AM ----------

soz about the priv msg i read it after i had read your post

If you wiped out your windows applications, how would you think Wine can run them ?