Help in Understanding ISMP

Hi,

Good day to everyone.

This is my first time joining the community and wanted to say thanks in advance for all your help and assistance. First, I am not expert in AIX and UNIX but I do know a thing or two and I have a simple question regarding ISMP.

We are using AIX 5.3 and a couple of days ago our UNIX filesystem /tmp used 100% of the diskspace allocated to it and when we investigated it, there was a lot of 'ismp001, ismp002, ismp003...ismp10001, ismp, 10002, etc., which is being created every 5 minutes.

Firstly, I wanted to understand what the ismp is for (I searched and saw its from InstallShield) and why is it placing an entry in the /tmp directory?

The solution that we did was determining the UNIX user who is creating the directory and once we got the user, I did a ps -ef|grep user and saw a lot of <defunct> and processes in square brackets [ ], so we did a cleanup (kill) of these processes which then stopped the creation of the ismp folder.

Would anyone know whether there are other processes (aside from installation) may create an ismp folder?

Thanks in advance.:o