Health check script

Hi,

I have a server type(A group of AIX,HP-UX and Linux servers running with different appn) in which i need to do health check(memory,cpu,h/w etc). I am planning to automate the same. Please help me out in writing the same.

Thanks
Renjesh Raju

write scripts to collect the required details, and execute it.

What kind of help you need ?

i dont have exp in AIX and HP-UX. Please tell me what are all commands i can include to create helath check script?

Is there any default script available for the same ?

I think you should have a look at the man pages of commands like,

man top
man df
man vmstat 

etc.

AIX and HP-UX are quite similar...
What are you looking for?
Most people configure those servers in such a way any system alert shows up in logs, all you have to do is look at them by looking at /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for HP and typing errpt -a on AIX.
If its monitoring you are thing about, its quite different...

I am looking for some scripts which will give some feedback after the health check(may give a single 'ok' as o/p). Bcoz this i need to do it on a huge environment with more than 1000 servers. So if i am giving commands like df -h & vmstat, it is very difficult to go and check outputs of each commands in servers.

Thanks
Renjesh Raju

You could write a script and/or configure the logger (/etc/syslog.conf) to get those lines from syslogs and send them to a centralized common log on a promoted server for this task, so you only have one to look at...
e.g. a line like *.err @<promoted server>

man logger

I dont think it is readily available for you to say, just ok.

You have to analyze what all you need, such as output of top command, uptime, free -om, df -h and so on. And then cross check with the parameters you are looking for. And print an ok ...

If something you find it, contribute it to here...

Thanks u very much ...

I am not looking for centrlized login facility. sure i will post if i get something like that ..

Thanks
Renjesh Raju

There are lot of tools like nagios, big brother etc which are available ... Do you want write it yourself or use these tools.