HD Controller does not Work in Solaris

Hi,

I'm attempting to build a raid Z NAS using solaris, but I only have 4 sata ports on my MB, so I bought a Rosewill RC-211 PCIe controller (adds 2 sata II ports).

I'm new to solaris, but I understand that to add a new drive, you first run #devfsadm, which puts the files into /dev/dsk. I did this, and new files were put in there (cntlr... I think) but when I run #format it does not find the drive.

I assume that solaris just doesn't support the controller (I did check the lists, but the only ones it supports officially are $100 or more, for which I can buy a new mb with 6 sata ports so what's the point?) but before I give up on RAID Z and just install Ubuntu, is there anything else I should try?

Thanks,

Cisco

I'd _guess_ you need the drivers for it. Check the hardware vendor's website and see if they have solaris drivers available.

Yeah, nothing. Couldn't even find any linux drivers. I guess I figured since it sees the controller as a controller (as demonstrated by the files created in /dev/dsk) there may be a way to get it to work. Though I'm quickly loosing hope...

Um...OK, maybe (probably) I'm just really dumb. I used the Sun tools hardware check thingy and while it shows my controller as not supported in solaris 10, it IS supported in the express and open editions. Can I just download that driver from Sun then and install? Where is it? I looked on the sun pages but couldn't figure it out. So very stupid...

Um..let me try to figure it out. It's probably pretty easy...