Have mounted a filesystem in /var and now cannot log in

hi,
i might not be posting my question in the right place because i don't know where to post questions

my question is like this

i created a partition named 'var' in the SOLARIS os .,and then i knowingly mounted it on /var ..now after doing this am not able to login to my shell...could you tell me the reason ?? during installation i created only 3 partitions named swap /export/home and /etc............ i am a newbie in solaris

If you reboot, is this partition still mounted on /var?

It is unlikely that the system would boot, except into maintenance mode.

Which version of Solaris? SPARC or X86?

For example, I only have access to a Solaris 10 x86 running in a VM.

After booting and giving my password to enter maintenance mode:

# umount /var
# vi /etc/vfstab
(fix the problem - mount the /var FS somewhere else)
# reboot

PS: You posted in the correct place.

1 Like

i am using solaris 10 64 bits on my intel machine...and apart from that when i am looking into /var then there is only lost+found file...where have all files gone?? ...

You overmounted the /var directory with another filesystem.

If you are at all logged in now, just do:

cd /
umount /var

If you need to change the vfstab file to stop it mounting in /var after the next reboot, please do.

i am waiting for your reply sir...i have give the details..should i noe try it out that you told me in earliar post

---------- Post updated at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:09 AM ----------

ok sir..thanx ...right now i am in office ..i will do as soon as i reach home and will ping you if i have problem....

thank u for your kind support

---------- Post updated at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:12 AM ----------

thanks...it worked :):slight_smile: