hardware printout layout terminology

trying to find online or a book.
the words to use to find 'a' or
'the ways and means' to format left margin, right margin etc from man pages to Hardware Printer.
while looking to print man pages with a Hardware Printer.
I have found lp.
and did a

man sudoers | lp -p2 

to test.
The original that was sent thru the OS GUI did come out okay, yet there were some individual words that were off set to the far left zero margin while the majority were somewhere in the range of 20 px left.
The test page using lp came out with some presets, various individual words and their following sentence structures were included into the zero left margin.
I can understand the end of line from other reading going back to C, though i cannot at this time remember specifics , yet i do understand that there is recognized in the code 'end of line' .
So i would like to get down to some nitty gritty understanding of printing Man Pages to a Hardware Printer and the ways and means to format the text.
Does any one know of words to search with that do not include the usual word 'print' used in conjunction with the command line.
I have tried many word combo`s , frustrating.
Thank you

You might want to check nroff and troff for formatting.

google for 'sed & awk pdf download' and download it. There is a chapter on using sed to format the way I mentioned above. You will have to change margins for example. This is pretty close to nitty-gritty as it gets in UNIX command line stuff.

Check out WoMan as well - uses emacs if I recall correctly.
WoMan: Browse Unix Manual Pages "W.O. (without) Man"