Hardrive Spliter.

I am running Linux - Debian on my harddrive at present and i want to split the remainder of my hardrive into another portion so that i can install windows on it. What is the best way to go about this?

Install a second hard drive and install windows on it. Not because it can't be done on a single drive, but generally speaking you should install Windows first, and then Linux, so you will either have a difficult time, or end up having to install Linux again.
Considering the price of hardware, the risks outweigh the rewards.

Thanks but im not worried about installing linux again. But if there is not a known way to go about this ill have to do that. But when i do put windows in it wont let me install it for one reason or another.

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:24 AM ----------

Thanks but im not worried about installing linux again. But if there is not a known way to go about this ill have to do that. But when i do put windows in it wont let me install it for one reason or another.

Thanks

The basic outline would be this:

• Shrink the Linux partitions to make space for Windows, eg. using gparted.
  • Don't create a partition for Windows, let the installer handle that.
  • Reboot into the Windows installation, install as usual. Windows will wreck havoc on your old MBR containing GRUB or LILO.
  • When finished, reboot using a Linux live CD. Depending on the distro it might have a recovery mode, which will probably drop you to a command prompt where you can re-install the Linux boot loader.
1 Like

ill give it a shot.

Im having a few problems.

1. do i burn all files to disc or just the isolinux folder
    and then do i reboot to run it?