Hardening Solaris 10

So I've just done my first install of Solaris. I installed it on an x86 system and am now in the processing of figuring out what I need to do to 'harden' it. I've got the Security kit downloaded (jass) but I am not sure what to do with the .tar file.

I can't seem to find any easy steps to follow in order to use the thing. I am a total beginner. So do I un-tar the files or is there an easy install?

Untar the file, there should be a package inside. Then as root:

pkgadd -d . SUNWjass

That worked thanks!

I am just messing around with this system for now so I ran the hardening.driver. Would that cover all the basics? I plan on putting the system behind just a linksys router that has a firewall.

The description for the hardening.driver says its to implement the Solaris OS hardening recommendations that are docuemented in the Sun BluePrints Onlline articles. So I figured that would be enough to get me started?

I just don't want to have an open to the world system. There isn't anything really important going on this box. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Probably not, but maybe.

You need to open the driver and comment in/out the aspects of hardening that you want to enable. Also you probably want to look at the settings in the .init script in the Drivers directory. There may well be things that you want to use that get disabled.

I'll check into commenting in / out. The problem with being new at this is I have no idea what I want or don't want. Learning curve.

Basically as long as I can connect to a local printer, use email and web surfing....That'll be good enough for me to get started.

Thanks for your help!

Grab the docs the developer guide (I think ) has the full list of scripts and their effects.

This is new info guys...thanks a lot...:):b: