GUI for multiple pattern replacement

I'm trying to change a few programs in our environment. Basically We have hardcoded some server names and stuff, So I want some one to suggest me some UNIX gui tools that can be used to replace these..

I really don't want to deal doing this through the command line. I want to transfer the files to my windows PC replace these patterns and then move it to the server.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

My suggestion is to change the way you attempt to achieve something:

You know already how you want to do it ("no commandline"), but haven't even the slightest idea what you want to do: "server names and stuff" is hardly a description anybody could use to actually do some work and hope to achieve what your goal is.

Instead of being open about your prospective tools and secretive about defining your goals you might want to try it the other way round: be precise about your goals, stating exactly what you want to change, in which ways you want to change it and what your environment looks like. Worry about which tools to use to achieve this precisely defined set of desired results only then: when it is "precisely defined".

To answer your question in the style it was posed i'd say: use PowerPoint! True, it might not allow you to actually do the work, but you can use it to put together a presentation which looks good and might convince management to hire someone to actually do the work for you.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

That's not the way things work in Unix. Since it's very easy to do that on the command line, everyone does it that way. Maybe there are some GUIs - I'm not knowing the name of a single one.

And yes - command line is command line. If you're not used to do things that way, you'll need of course a bit of time and learning in doing it that way.

If I get you right, you like to do it on your Windows PC. Since this forums domain is unix.com, it's not very likely you get a tip for a search & replace GUI for windows here.

---

If you are really interested in learning the needed tools, you definitively will get some good advices here what to read and hints that help you with the usage of the tools.

Hi.

See:

regexxer  is  a program that allows you to select a group of files, and
       perform perl-style regular expression search and replace operations  to
       the files, in an interactive graphical interface.

I tried this, and it worked for me. In a simple GUI display It found the files, then found the strings, then changed the strings, then saved the files.

This was on a system:

OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.4 (jessie) 
regexxer - ( /usr/bin/regexxer, 2014-10-01 )

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

1 Like